If you’re not thinking about how your dispensary or cannabis business can benefit from voice search in 2018, now’s the time to start. Why, you might ask, should I bother with optimizing my site and content for voice search? Excellent question.
It’s no secret that Google has been making a big push for folks to use its assistant, whether on their tablets/mobile phones or in their homes with Google Home. The search giant has also:
- Sent out notices on how to make content more discoverable by Google Assistant
- Released information on how to optimize for voice search
Facts about Voice Search1
- Experts predict that by 2020, 50% of all searches will be voice searches.
- 40% of adults now use voice search once per day
- Nearly always on mobile and often focused locally: “Is there a dispensary near me?”
- More conversational: “Where can I buy an eighth of Jack Herer?”
- Tend to be longer than text searches
Voice Search and Local Search Are Linked
This article from Search Engine Journal also discusses tips to optimize for voice search – note their top suggestion is claiming your Google My Business listing, which also plays a role in how well you show up in local searches.
We talked about taking advantage of local search a while ago, and we want to emphasize its importance here again. Think about it: When you make a search on your phone, whether voice or text, you’re asked to share your location. Google uses that information to help give you the best search results based on where you are.
TIP: Google likes displaying aggregate review scores. You can encourage your customers to leave online reviews by offering a discount on their next purchase (check your state’s laws regarding discounts).
Mobile usage and voice searches are on the rise and will continue to factor in your website’s search engine rankings in 2018. Make sure your dispensary is taking advantage.
1Jeffs, M. “OK Google, Siri, Alexa, Cortana; Can you tell me some stats on voice search?” branded3.com/blog/google-voice-search-stats-growth-trends/. Accessed 7 Dec. 2017.